Leisure and tourism
Holidays in Britain
- Located in the North West corner of Italy.
- There are 31 different ski lifts.
- There are many different shops / restaurants / bars - in resort area which cause visual pollution.
- Young people don't have to go away to find work but can become ski instructors or work in shops and hotels.
- Deforestation of slopes so skiers don't bump into trees means the snow gets thinner and then skiers have to
climb up the slope higher - causing more erosion to the slope.
- Acid rain (which is caused by traffic pollution) kills plants.
- There is seasonal unemployment as most jobs are limited to the one season.
- Farmers and forestry workers have lost jobs when their land is sold for ski slopes.
- Traditional ways of life have changed.
- Seasonal unemployment problem is being resolved by creating a summer resort with specialist holidays e.g.
mountain walking / biking.