GCSE English Literature
A list of good quotes found in the play.
- "Because he's stuck it till his nerves have got battered to bits, he's called a drunkard" This quote shows how
much Osborne cares about Stanhope and also how much he respects him.
- "You'll find the other officers call me uncle" Shows how kind and dependable Osborne can be.
- "Drinking like a fish as usual?" (says Hardy). This quote just backs up the fact that Stanhope is an
- "You know you mustn't expect to find him quite the same" Osborne kindly warns Raleigh so he doesn't get a shock
when he meets Stanhope.
- "How frightfully quiet it is" Raleigh says - this shows how strange the atmosphere must have been in the front
- "Another little worm trying to wriggle home" Says Stanhope talking about Hibbert whom he disrespects because he
is trying to go home.
- "Yes, I'm a hero" sarcastically says Stanhope as he doesn't consider himself to be the hero Raleigh believes
him to be.
- "Without being doped with whisky - I'd go mad with fright" Stanhope knows he has a drinking problem.
- "He'll write and tell her I reek of whisky all day" Stanhope is worried that Raleigh will write home and tell
his sister about him. This gives him the idea to censor Raleigh's letters.
- "Dear old Uncle, tuck me up" Says Stanhope to Osborne - their relationship is almost father to son at times.
- "You keen on gardening" Trying to talk about something else rather than war is common throughout the play.
- "You don't think i'm going potty?" Asks Stanhope to Osborne which again shows how much Stanhope trusts
- "D'you understand an order? Give me that letter!" Stanhope demands the letter from Raleigh as he thinks there is something about him in it.
- "I'm fiddling with my revolver...going off by accident" Stanhope threatens to shoot Hibbert if he deserts.
- "How awfully nice - if the brigadier's pleased" sarcastically after Osborne's death Stanhope shows little
respect for those above him.
- "Steady, old boy. Just lie there quietly for a bit" The caring side of Stanhope when Raleigh has been seriously