GCSE English Language
Advertising is a multi-billion pound industry with the sole aim of promoting and selling specific products. It is essential therefore that companies target the correct audience and ensure their message is seen, remembered and ultimately acted upon.
- Firstly, the advert must be eye catching so the person notices it.
- An advert could use colour and pictures. It may use different font types etc.
- Next the advert needs to be memorable so that the person can recall and possibly buy the product.
- This may be done by use of a jingle, logo or slogan.
- Word association is often used too e.g. SURF >>> Strong, white, clean, pure, waves.
- It is also important that it maintains the viewers' interest - this may be done by using humour, continuing
storyline, music etc.
- Finally, the advert needs to persuade the person to buy the product.
- This is mainly done by using special types of language such as: persuasive, emotive or exaggerated.
- Companies often utilize other factors such as special offers / limited period only to entice customers to buy
- These methods are used because it is believed that most purchases are made within a relatively short time after
the initial advert.
- A delay may mean a purchase is never actually made.