- Percentages are used all the time.
- They are used just like fractions.
- Just like fractions, they are used to find part of a value which may be an increase or decrease of the original
A percentage is a number out of 100, so:
- 1% is equal to 1/100
- 23% is equal to 23/100
- 50% is equal to 50/100 or 1/2
- When using percentages on a calculator, I find that converting the percentage into a fraction or decimal is
more simpler than using the percentage button. Knowing how to convert a percentage would make this process
- Finding percentages of values includes decreases and increases:
- Decreases: A decrease of 10% means 90% of the value ( 100% - 10% = 90% or 0.90 ). To find the answer you work
out 0.90 × number.
- Increases: An increase of 10% means your value and an extra 10% added to it. This means it is 110% ( 100% + 10%
= 110% or 1.10 ) of the value. To find the answer you work out 1.10 × number.