The Cold War
- World War 2 was not over at this time but it was close to the end.
- The big three Stalin (Russia), Roosevelt (USA), and Churchill (Britain) agreed on some important matters.
- Stalin agreed to enter was against Japan after Germany surrendered.
- Germany to be divided into 4 zones and also Berlin (capital) to be divided into 4 zones too. (for Britain,
France, Germany and USA).
- Hunt down and punish war criminals (found evidence from concentration camps).
- Join new United Nations to keep peace.
- As countries liberated from German army they could hold free elections.
- Eastern Europe should become a Soviet Sphere of Influence (to give Russia more control and security).
Problems at Yalta:
- Division of Germany - ¾ Capitalist only ¼ Communist.
- Soviet sphere of influence - not properly defined how would Russia interpret this?
- Poland - Russia wanted to expand into Poland but Capitalist powers didn't want Russia expanding.