- People were not used to democracy.
- Opposition > LEFT WING communists (Spartacists) rebellions squashed by Freikorps.
- Opposition > RIGHT WING Kapp putsch Dr Kapp and Freikorps marched into Berlin.
- Opposition > HITLER Munich putsch (failed).
- Lots of violence during this time - the Kaiser's former advisers still in position - restricted Weimar.
TREATY OF VERSAILLES
- Weimar blamed for signing the treaty.
- After war depression.
- Reparations bill £6600 million.
- 2nd instalment not paid > French and Belgium troops into Rhur > Government orders general strike > French
killed 100 workers > Printed more money > Hyperinflation.
- The Weimar lost support especially middle class >> savings were bust.
- New government Stresemann.
WEAKNESS OF THE CONSTITUTION
- Because of proportional representation there were lots of little parties present > decisions difficult to
- Article 48 president may rule by emergency decree (basically at dictatorship).