- A volcano occurs when an opening in the earth's surface allows magma to escape.
- Like earthquakes, they occur on plate boundaries where plates rub against each other or one plate is pushed
There are 3 main types of earthquakes:
- Active - They can erupt at any time.
- Dormant - They have not erupted recently (within the last 2000 years).
- Extinct - They will not erupt again.
Although earthquakes cause deaths and there are man reasons not to live near earthquakes (on plate boundaries) there are advantages such as the soil is often fertile.