- Plants use sunlight energy to produce food. The name of this process is photosynthesis.
- It is not only sunlight that is used for photosynthesis though.
- Plants use inorganic substances to produce food and it is the energy from the sunlight which enables these raw
materials to react together.
- These materials are carbon dioxide, taken from the air, and water, taken from the soil.
- The equation showing the products of photosynthesis as well as what is needed is as follows:
- Water + carbon dioxide --> glucose + oxygen
- 6H20 + 6CO2 --> C6H12O6 + 6O2
- When writing the equation, it is usual to put sunlight energy across the arrow to show that this is needed for
the reaction to take place